Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I Feel Violated

Journalism forum focuses on emerging media
by Melissa Angel
January 27, 2010

My view (of my own article):

So maybe my ORIGINAL title was a little cheesy: "Journalism School, Meet Town Hall!", but at least it's creative. It grabs people's attention, which is (uhhh...hello?) the point! Journalist's WANT people to read their articles. They need the readership, so that they don't get fired from their job.

You could say I was a little bitter. I feel violated when a stranger starts adding in paragraphs, or taking away the one's I tried so hard to write. I wanted to be creative, and what The Alligator is telling me is: don't. Just don't. Students, however, need literary journalism in their lives. The struggling 50,000 adults here at UF are studying through the night, stressing through the day, so why not let a newspaper be their outlet?

I'm disappointed with the article, and it definitely is getting me down. I wanted the journalism forum to seem like a fun event (because it was!), yet it was turned into a dry, factual, blah...

1 comment:

  1. And this is why a career in writing scares me. You are a brave woman! I believe in you, Melissa. I believe that you will hunker down and do what you have to do to get to the point where you've paid your dues and you can write whatever you want to write. You will be so revered as a font of journalistic excellence that no one will DARE take a red pen to your work. When that day comes it will be a fine day indeed.

    ReplyDelete