Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Name is an Identity

NEW YORK REGION
For Transgender People, Name Is a Message
By WILLIAM GLABERSON
Published: January 25, 2010
Manhattan Civil Court has become a capital of name changing for transgender people as some of the stigma has eased.

My view:

I know I have been pulling all of my articles from the New York Times, but what can I say? I love the NY Times. Why do I love the NY Times? It's because they care about reality. This story could have easily been overlooked by a red-eyed coffee-drinking editor. Instead it was given priority on the first page of the NY Times Web site.

This is the kind of reality we don't get to experience everyday. Imagine possessing a name that feels wrong to you, and the only way for you to feel right is to go to court and change it. Imagine if that was a difficult process. Luckily, it is just the opposite.

I love the photographs in this article. I am always drawn to the photographs. It was extremely well-written, and the quotes are great.

I'm running on little sleep at the moment, so this is all I'm going to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment