Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oh! Bosnia

HEADS UP
Art Crops Up in Sarajevo’s Shuttered Shops
By YASMINE RYAN
Published: January 17, 2010
The New York Times

In the Bosnian capital, the contemporary art scene is in perpetual collision with everyday life. Yet somehow, out of the chaos of the city, the art survives.

My view:

It's the day before my first test in Intensive German I and instead of hitting the books, throwing on my sweats, and guzzling the coffee, I'm reading about the Bosnian art scene.

Sadly, it's almost non-existent. Artists are scrambling from abandoned room to abandoned room, getting no recognition from the Bosnian people, and absolutely no support from the government, yet they continue on. Because they see that the old world as Bosnia knows it is crumbling beneath their feet, and will soon become a modern art mecca.

The article was an inverted pyramid article if I've ever seen one. It grabs your attention at the top and just draaaags on toward the end. I realize that the article was more about places for artists to show their work, but it would have been nice for the photojournalist to snap some pictures of more art. You know, give us a feel for what's hip in Bosnia (even if some of the artists are coming from Italy and New Zealand). All the writer really gave us was a link to the upcoming art gallery, Duplex, and some more links that I really didn't both to click on.

This is the type of journalism I want to do. More art/ music focused.

3 comments: