Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I Hate It When They Make Me Think!

Children Speak for Same-Sex Marriage
by Sarah Wildman
January 20, 2010
The New York Times

My view:

Why this article is in the Fashion/Style section, I do not know. Since when was same-sex marriage a fashion statement or a trend? Did the New York Times run out of space in the US section? Because that is really what this article is about; US happenings and how they effect us.

An unbiased article is a good article. Both views are represented. Another quote by Pugno would have been a treat though. I am just so tickled that he claims the children were put into those situations purposefully. When a child is 10 or 11, they pretty much have a handle on what decisions they make. Most kids WANT to voice their opinions at this age (unless their parents oppress them), and WANT to be the center of attention. It would upset me too if my parents wanted to get married and they were not able to, regardless if they were both female or both male. I don't think children who grow up with same-sex parents really think about the fact that their mommies or their daddies have the same you-know... Our parents are our parents, and we all want to seem them happy...unless they're horrible.

I was shocked to read that a lot of older children (some of them gay) with same-sex parents don't think that equal marriage rights are necessary. Katie Miles deemed marriage a barrier that blocks basic needs like healthcare. Okay, I can agree with that. Danielle Silber believes marriage is a quick fix for "social validation", yikes, she may be right. And then freakin' Abigail Garner makes that mind-blowing statement at the end that had me regrouping my thoughts about marriage.

Marriage has never been a big thing for me. I never thought about it when I was a little girl. My Barbie's were never married, they just kind of got together and hooked up, maybe went out to dinner? What's hilarious is I never owned a Ken doll so I just cut one of my Barbie's hair short. The one thing my Barbie's did do was pro-create. I've always wanted a child. Always. Not now! When I'm ready.

I do know that the big issue here is: everyone wants the same rights. No, everyone NEEDS the same rights. It's not fair to give a group of people some rights, and then say "oh no, you can't have these because you're gay, or old, or a woman, or under the age of 12". I'm an advocate for acquiring the senior citizen discount on Tuesday's. Just because you're old doesn't mean you're poor! I digress.

It all comes down to one reality; the article made me think (which sometimes I hate). Hopefully it makes America think. Because if there is one thing American's need to do a little bit more of, it is to think.

3 comments:

  1. Abigail Garner IS freakin' awesome.

    Hey, I'm glad you are doing this blog and glad there are still journo students in this crazy country!

    Betty T, Minneapolis, friend of the freakin' A.G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, that sneaky, thought-provoking Abigail Garner! She gets me every time!

    As another MSP friend to the freakin' A.G. there is something to learn from a person who can think, write, speak and act on her convictions.

    It takes practice. That's for sure!

    ReplyDelete