Thursday, February 4, 2010

The New York Times

I wish the NY Times would shut down their site to non-paying people already. I bought a subscription at the beginning of the semester and never, NEVER have time to read the actual newspaper. I'm always on my computer, studying at my desk, moving quickly from class to class, or lying motionless in my bed, spread out like a starfish, my mind blank. It's almost like meditation.

I'm too tired to pick up the paper and ruffle through the large pages, all the while trying to handle a bagel, a cup of coffee, and less than twenty minutes to bike to class.

I recently read that the NY Times was going to only allow paying customers to access their Web site. If they did that, I wouldn't feel so bad about blowing $36 on something I don't even read. I had goals, I thought I was going to, but let's face it: journalism is shifting more and more toward the online department.

And if I may boldly speak my mind: good riddance. Everyone is already polluting the Earth by buying computers, let's not cause destruction anymore by using paper rolls. Let's embrace globalization and move on with it.

Maybe that's too harsh? Maybe someone will agree. All I know is that I need more coffee and have got to stop writing this and start studying German.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I think that is the way the world is going, but there's something rather wonderful about newsprint- how it smells, how it gets on your hands... I like tangible, tactile things. I guess I'm just an old fashioned girl. I do know it's a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May-- Yeah, and now that I read that post I realize how angry it sounds. I think that was the day I biked in the rain to class, lost my thermos, and barely had anything to eat.

    It is nice to hold tangible objects. It's impossible to be satisfied with just talking to a friend over e-mail, a family member, or a lover. I could never read a book online, that just seems wrong to me. So I agree in that sense.

    ReplyDelete